Monday, January 12, 2015

for the love of complaining

Like salt
in an exposed
wound

"Fiji...
you've never been?
...when my plane lands
I shed all my clothes
 and for a week
 I gallivant around the island naked."
--Mad About You
"I said YES to a big adventure...
and just this week
booked a flight
to Bali!"
--Amanda Soule
"We're going to Mexico
in February...
why don't you come?
I bet you could still 
rock a bikini."
--D.B. @ the Christmas party
after a few beers
For the last two years
I have been 
burdened
with a work trip
first to Dominican Republic
and then
Antigua

Always on the back of my mind
while holiday feasting
and cookie baking

come January I 
had to
rummage through my
meager 
though growing
summer attire
and
search through clearance sites
for a new bathing suit

Oh 
the bother!

2014
with its record snowfall
and bitter temps
proved to be difficult
for the housing industry
and so
my husband did not make quota
i.e.,
Aruba will not be seeing us.

What a relief!
Right?
Wrong!
For I remember...
the dread was immediately
replaced with joy
when the plane went from cold to warm
when my feet hit the white beach
warm balmy breezes caressing my body
clothes traded in for a tankini
and a hot cocoa dumped for
  an 
island surprise
ahhh...
in a word
lovely

the only thing that could have made
it better...
is if we were
all alone
without co-workers
(who are great people
but still...)
just Rudy and Jenny
being
Rudy and Jenny
other than that
damn near
perfect

not that I wouldn't be posting
a sad tale if the situation
were reversed
mind you
I'd have to share my woes
of having to lose 10 pounds in 
3 weeks
or
finding a suit for my body type
in the middle of winter
with skin
whiter than snow

oh...
boo-hoo-
hoo! 
and I discover
a sorry truth
about myself
I love the snow
I love the sand
and boy oh boy
do I love to 
complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment