Monday, August 25, 2014

hippie chick :: summer revival

Summer Skincare :: Part 2

Have you ever stepped outside
and found yourself declaring
out loud
what a perfect day
it is

warm sun
gentle breeze 
when you need it
birds chirping
no bugs bugging
kind of perfection

You may start watering the plants
and pulling a weed here
and there
but
you end up putting the cushions
on the chairs
filling the cooler with ice
and beverages
cranking up the beach music
skimming the pool
while
sipping a berry blue beer

and finding yourself
planning an impromptu
 pool party


because this kind of day
is meant to be
enjoyed.

So I did just that.

Did I apply my sunscreen
first thing in the a.m.?
No
because I'm a big baby who
doesn't like the 
feeling of product
on my skin.

Don't get me wrong 
I use SPF on my face
everyday
I spray myself with
sport strength
before long bouts on the bike
at the courts
by the pool
etc.

but 
I'm not a fan of anything
on my skin
daily
maybe something to do with
Michigan humidity
yeah
let's go with that.

so
at nighttime
I treat myself to
Cocoa Butter Creamy Lotion 
For Face and Body
"this non-greasy, deeply moisturizing
and hydrating cream doubles as an after-sun
cream...it leaves skin 
very soft and silky..."
 Stephanie Tourles
(recipe on-line!)
from her 
Organic Body Care Recipes
book...
and she is right.

Like all recipes
I read through it completely
and began gathering/purchasing/borrowing
the necessary ingredients


Mise en place
(MEEZ ahn plahs)
to put in place
prepared and ready to go


using the rarely used
double boiler
to gently warm the oils, butters, wax
until melted
then combining
with the glycerin mixture
in a food processor
until the magic happens


and a smooth
thick
velvety lotion forms
stirring in
my choice options of 
lavender and vanilla
essential oils
then
storing in little
squat-y
wide-mouthed ball canning jars
for easy access


bedside
with all the other
nighttime essentials


an after shower
skincare
embrace.

Cooking up lotions and potions
all kinds of
good-smelling concoctions 
in my kitchen.

It doesn't get any more
natural than that.

3 comments:

  1. All sounds very lovely (and I'm with you on products in the heat of summer, blah!), but I'm seeing borax in your picture of the ingredients. Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...borax acts as a binder and texturizer; in this case it also aided in the formation of a stable emulsion. Borax whitens, is a weak antiseptic, and natural preservative; much like baking soda it softens hard water...yes...borax!

      :)

      Delete
    2. Very cool! I'm used to seeing it in home cleaners and such. I think I had seen it once in a homemade shaving cream recipe, but that was it. What is the book you have?

      Delete